Monday, November 7, 2016

This Week & Conferences

This is a very short week -- our focus will be on our art project, writing, and math.  We probably will skip many elements of a typical week (theme books, new song...) this week.  Please note, there is no school on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday due to conferences and Veteran's Day.

Many thanks to our great volunteer crew who helped with our art project last Wednesday!  It was amazing to get a major art project underway while doing centers and reading groups.  Thanks also to Karen, Lucy's grandmother, who was helping in the classroom many days over the past several weeks!

I love conferences (and I wish that we could do them several times over the year).  This is a wonderful opportunity to sit down and compare notes; hopefully you and I will emerge with a better understanding of your child and his / her experience at Chapman.  In general I usually start the conference with a quick overview of your child's academic progress and my perspective on your child's social interactions and behavior. After that we can go anywhere.

Here are a few hints for a productive conference:

  • Be on time.  I have a number of back-to-back conferences, particularly in the morning.  I do my best to stay on schedule.
  • Bring notes.  If there are topics you want to cover, big or small, it helps to have a list so nothing gets neglected.
  • We encourage you to find care for your child; conferences seem to be much more focused when your young scholar is not competing for your attention. However we understand that this is not always possible.
  • Call and let me know if you need to reschedule.

I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday and Thursday!

Calendar:
November 9-10 No School -- conferences
November 11 -- No School -- Veterans Day
November 23-25 -- No School -- Thanksgiving holiday

This weeks themes:
Theme Book: No theme this week!
Letter study: Kk
Letters we know: Mm, Tt, Aa, Ss, Pp
New words: we, my, like
Words we know: I, am, the, little, a, to, have, is
Writing: independent writing
Math: tens!
Song: TBD

No comments:

Post a Comment